Health & nutrition
Our community-based healthcare approach employs a wide network of community health workers to ensure that people living in poverty can access high-quality, affordable services. Our health workers ensure a continum of care, bridging the gap between formal healthcare systems and communities.
The main health services we offer include: –
- Essential healthcare
- Maternal, neonatal and child health
- Control of non-communicable diseases
- Respond to disasters and health crises.
The strategies we use in the provision of health services are: –
- Door-to-door health services that connect communities with private and public providers in the most remote areas.
- Specific interventions and referral systems that focus on improving the health and nutritional status of women.
- Structured and informative community-based discussions.
- Formal and informal training, incorporating community feedback in program activities and running regular courtyard educational sessions.
Malnutrition is a major public health concern in Somalia. To address this problem, CPD’s nutrition program has been working at household and community level for creating awareness on nutrition. Staff and volunteer nutrition promoters visit households in their communities and provide counselling, coaching and demonstration. Moreover, they offer community-based management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) service to mother and child of 6 to 59 months who are affected by moderate accurate malnutrition by providing supplementary food.
The Nutrition program creates awareness about adolescent girls’ nutrition and encourages mothers and family members about many issues like intake of healthy and various types of food, early initiation of breast feeding, exclusive breast feeding till 6 months, breast feeding for at least two years and initiation of complementary feeding after six months.
To prevent child malnutrition and anaemia, micro-nutrient powder sachets are distributed under maternal, infant and young child nutrition(MIYCN) home fortification programme. It helps to prevent anaemia of 6 to 59 months old child by providing required iron, vitamin and minerals.